- Events Calendar
- E-Books & More
- About Us
- Get a Library Card
The Board of Trustees and the staff of the Fremont Public Library welcome you to your public library. Our goal is to make sure each visit to the library is as enjoyable and productive as possible. We welcome all suggestions and input that will help us reach this goal.
The Fremont Public Library District encompasses parts of Mundelein, Grayslake, Hawthorn Woods, Libertyville, Round Lake, Round Lake Park, and Wauconda. For more information about getting a library card or to see if you are in our district, click here.
The idea for a library in Fremont Township was born on April 5, 1955, when the residents of Fremont Township voted to create a “Free Public Library”. On December 2, 1955, the Fremont Township Public Library opened for business in a rented storefront located at the corner of Lake Street and Park Avenue in the village of Mundelein with a collection of approximately 6,000 items. The library was open from 2 pm-5 pm, Monday through Saturday, and library service was provided by one librarian, Miriam Peaco, and a group of volunteers.
1964: A used bookmobile is purchased to provide service to residents living outside the village of Mundelein.
1966: The Library purchases the building it had been renting when Library Board President, Leonard Schmitt and Board Treasurer, Donald Coleman secure a loan with their own signatures.
1968: Library collection reaches 17,500 items.
1972: The Fremont Public Library District is formed as an independent taxing body, making Fremont the first library in Illinois to convert from a township library to a district library.
1974: Small additions to the library building increases its size to 4,880 square feet.
1986: Remodeling project increases the library building to 13,800 square feet.
1998: Voters approve the construction of a new library facility on land donated by Town & Country Builders to the Village of Mundelein. The village then donated the land to the library district.
2001: The Library, a 78,000 square foot building, opens its doors at 1170 N. Midlothian Road.
The Fremont Public Library exists to
To that end, the board of trustees, administration and staff of the Fremont Public Library present this plan to follow a strategic direction toward positive growth and change.
The plan is fluid and ever-changing. New initiatives may be added and old ones removed as the community needs change and the opportunities for the library to reach its goals become possible. The board of trustees will receive updates and be consulted for approval of initiatives that management believes will help us further the goals stated. The goals have been created after receiving input from community focus groups, comment forms and statistics; staff brainstorming meetings and surveys; and board committee work and retreats.
Goal 1: The library will create better physical, virtual and mobile spaces for the community.
Goal 2: The library will increase its ability to inspire and support creation of knowledge.
Goal 3: The library will focus on engaging the community and increasing the library’s role within it.
Goal 4: The library will equip staff to develop additional skills to maintain relevance in an increasingly engaged, inspired, and enriched community.
Goal 5: The library will increase awareness in the community of its services.